Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have read thru much of the FAQ which was
very helpful regarding capital gains issues but I still have simple (stupid)question. First my situation:

This is going to be the first year that I need to
actually file something other than an EZ form. I got married last July, we rent an apartment, and I have a considerable amount of capital gains that I need to
claim from my new E*Trade accounts. I really do not think that I can itemize and the only other deduction is some student loan interest amounts. My wife and I are going to owe a lot (and get penalized) because we claimed too many dependants in 99.

What form do I need to use, just the basic 1040 with
no need to itemize ??? Relatively easy to do HR Block needed, correct ?

Sorry for the newbie question. I hope I do not get as much abuse as posters who inquire about stock splits on the CSCO board. Thanks for your help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.