Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Simplest things first, for anybody interested -- this board allows you to post table data with columns intact by putting the text PRE before it (within angle brackets <>) followed by /PRE also within brackets. (I didn't put the brackets on here, because it would turn into code and become invisible.) Below, I'll use that code so you can see the effect:

Fund Name Ticker Some Number
BlahBlah BLAHX 110%
Yadayada YADAX 115%

You can't see the code now but it "preformatted" the text by keeping it in table form, so the numbers don't all run together. Now you know (and others who may be reading). It frees a person from having to post the entire message as a table, which the Fool also offers as an option. That means this text can flow normally.

I ran a scan on Morningstar's Premier Funds list (89 stocks). At the bottom are the 3 and 5 year averages. This is supposed to be the cream of the crop in some circles. I may be missing something but I don't see TMF fund beating these results.

Not sure why you started with the M* "Premier Funds" rather than just using the entire universe of funds in existence. M* often has dogs in that list and culls them from time to time. I don't really care about the average performance of that list -- it's a hodgepodge of styles and sizes and asset classes and doesn't really represent any kind of target that an investor would aim for, I don't think.

Like, within that list I see numerous funds that have lost money on both a 3-year and 5-year basis, a fair number of index funds, and so on. No offense, but it seems to me that an average of all those funds creates a sort of meaningless datapoint.

Put another way -- among other things, that list includes a whole bunch of bond funds. This Motley Fool thing is a stock-only fund. What happened to the whole apples-to-apples idea?

But that's also missing the point of this new thread. It's not about that fund, so let's leave all the cynicism for the original thread. I wanted to find out what has worked best in the four-year span you cited, and from that, start a different discussion about what strategies might be fruitful going forward.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.