Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Since a graduate fellowship is considered an in-school deferment, I was under the impression that I would receive a 6 month grace period after the fellowship was over.

One would think so, but you'd have to read all of the fine print for all of your loans to be sure. Here's what I would do:

Who has been signing your in-school deferments up until now? I am guessing it is the financial aid office at the shcool you attended. Go get in-school deferment forms for all your loans (should be available on-line). Go to the finanical aid office and get them to sign in-school deferments dated through to the end of your fellowship for each one of your loans. Make copies of the in-school deferments (for yourself) and send the original to your lender.

I can't guarantee this will work, but there's a decent chance it will. I am guessing that when ask the lender: "Do I still have an additional grace period?" the answer is "No" because they want to get you into repayment. However, if the correct papers are filed, they have no choice but to follow the rules.

Good luck,
NellieD
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.