No. of Recommendations: 2
Since Disney bought the rights.... there has been no rhyme nor reason to a lot of the elements of the Star Wars universe. It all starts with when they decide to simply ignore / destroy 30+ years of extended universe material that was previously deemed canon (meaning approved by Lucas). Then they need to come up with new stories that frankly, were inferior. Chewbacca's past in Solo is a prime example.

There there is everything that was wrong with Last Jedi.

Argh!

I disagree.

The prequels were monumentally BAD and there's no indication that under Lucas' control that any new movies would've been any different. While I agree that it's a bummer that much of the other previous cannon was kind of thrown out the window by Disney, some of that original cannon was torpedoed by Lucas himself with Ep I-III.

I know people are pretty hyper-critical of the Disney stuff but for the most part they've been entertaining films and are a million times more re-watchable than the prequels. In fact, I find them more enjoyable on the re-watch because my previous expectations are gone. For example, once I watched Solo without any preconceptions of what I thought it should be it was a pretty fun movie. Not only that, but IMO the quality and consistency of the visuals is better than it's been since the original trilogy.

Could they have been better if they took more from that non-cinematic cannon? Probably yes, but I'm not going to let that get in the way of enjoying the new stuff and the decisions that have been made.

I also gotta say that I'm really enjoying The Mandalorian so far.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.