Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Since me and my wife do the majority of the hands on work there is very little time for accounting/clerical type duties.

Which is another reason why you need someone else to help you with that, in addition to answering your questions about how, precisely, your company/accounts should be set up in order to maximize your ability to save for retirement, which seems to be your goal.

I am not in accounting either, nor do I have a small business. I have looked into setting up a 401(k) for a small business, but the business ended up not being formed, so I have no practical experience. And yet, you seem to be using at least some of my very limited knowledge to further your knowledge, because you don't have source you can trust, and you are seeking to increase your level of knowledge.

I appreciate the fact that you are asking questions, and want to gain understanding. However, you don't seem to be at a level where you have the knowledge that you would need to get everything set up correctly. Unless you want to wait until you can gain that knowledge, at a minimum, with the level of knowledge that seem to have, I would strongly suggest that you consult a professional to ensure that you have your retirement accounts and contributions set up correctly.

If you don't have time to do 'accounting/clerical type duties' I would also strongly suggest that you consider using index funds from a low cost provider as the basis for your accounts, rather than individual stocks. Understanding individual stocks well enough to invest in them well requires a lot of time and research. You would probably be better off financially spending that time working on your business.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.