Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
Since my contracted gross income is about $120K, I know I have to pay federal tax on the social security and retirement but is it subject to the self employment tax as well?

I'm surprised Phil didn't drag out Sister Mary Severe and keeping antecedents straight. I'm not sure what income you are referring to with the pronoun "it" in your sentence.

So let's just cover all of the bases.

Your contract income is subject to self employment tax. (It's also questionable whether that contract income should be anything other than wages, but that's a different question and one you didn't ask.)

Social security and your retirement income are not subject to self employment tax.

They are all subject to federal income tax.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.