Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Since no ones replied yet, I'll lay out my first thoughts about LEAPS vs. "regular" investing:

Pros:
1. LEAPS reduce the amount of investment required — acts like leverage.

2. LEAPS also limit the losses to the downside. If the stock goes to zero, you're only wiped out to the strike.

Con:
1. costs more — there is an expense — compare to just borrowing the money? For example, just to pick a random stock: XOM trades currently for $38.35, and ATM $37.50 LEAPS expiring Jan 2022 trade for around $6.00. So you'd paying $5.15 for time value, which is the same as a 13.4% interest rate. (If you can borrow for less than 9% annualized, just buying the whole share might be cheaper....check my math?)

2. Usually Miss out on dividends. Same example, with XOM, you won't get the juicy 9.1% yield!

3. Not all stocks have LEAPS — mostly large-cap or popular stocks, and few have over 18 months expirations. I'm not a huge buy-and-hold investor, but I have held some winners like PYPL for going on 6 years.

4. Tax treatment can be different, if I'm remembering rightly.

----
That's all I got off the top of my head.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.