Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Since none of us have access to the actual report from DataMonitor this is a non-story. Here are some of the show stoppers that have to go poof! before this story has enters the relm of credibility:

I agree that these are significant problems, but I also think that they may be solved over the next 2 years.

1) Receiving party pays

This is a major problem when the cost per minute is relatively high, but if it falls enough, then it may cease to be a problem.

2) Tower of babble of cellular standards

This is probably the worst problem of all because all the investment in infrastructure will eventually have to be scrapped as people demand access to the new services. (which cannot be supported by the old networks) AT&T Wireless is one of the major losers here.

3) TV stations own spectrum needed by telcoms for 3G

I hope the FCC can solve this problem somehow or find other spectrum at higher frequencies for 3G.

4) Coverage sucks in the most important markets during periods of heavy usage

Yes, this is particularly bad in New York City !

5) Unlike SMS with Europeans and Asians, there is no
significant pre-existing behavior pattern for
Americans using first generation mobile wireless
data services. People forget, SMS is the training
ground for subsequent mobile wireless data services.
Remember, every month 10,000,000,000 SMS messeges
are flowing across GSM networks.

Not a big problem, it seems that people in the USA adopt new hi-tech things very fast - look at the 50% penetration of homes with web access.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.