Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
Since that inherited IRA was established in 2012 and I am paying tax on my first RMD on it, that should not be too bad to amend, though I will have to get my IRA 1099-r changed to reflect the non-tax portion.

No, no, no.

Have you already filed your 2012 return? If not, there's nothing to amend. If you have, slow your roll so you only have to amend it once.

Did you get a 2012 1099-R for the annuity distribution? You use the data from that to complete line 2 of Form 8606. See the instructions.

1099-R's for IRA distributions are always supposed to be coded "Taxable amount unknown" since no IRA custodian has the necessary information to compute it. You use Part I of Form 8606 to calculate the taxable portion.

I did get an RMD in 2011 from another annuity that Dad wasn't due to get an RMD from until after his death, so it came straight to me. Looking back at it the 1099R has checked off both 2B which says that taxable amt not determined and that 2A should be blank, but they put the full amount as taxable in 2A so we paid the whole thing.

An annuity isn't an IRA, and the entire amount may have been taxable. You clear that up with the issuer.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.