Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Since the sold property was in Nebraska, do I have to file in Nebraska and pay on profits there or am I liable only in the state in which I resided when the Nebraska sale took place?

In your case neither. Your residency doesn't matter when you have Nebraska-source income. Thus, sale of Nebraska real estate yielding a taxable gain would require a nonresident return.

However, Nebraska starts with Federal AGI. In your case that will include no gain from the sale of the house. (I'm assuming that you do qualify for the exclusion.) I can't see anywhere on the Nebraska return where you would add that gain to your Federal AGI. Thus I conclude that you have no Nebraska-source income to report, thus no nonresident filing requirement.

Were I you I wouldn't take my word for it. You can check things out here:

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.