Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 3
Since we contribute the max to the Roth IRA we can't contribute any to a Traditional IRA, right?

You are correct - the traditional IRA is not an option unless you stop contributing to the Roth. Your next step would be to invest in a taxable account. Of course you should consider tax efficiency of the investments you choose in this account. I would suggest either a broad-based index fund like Vanguard Total Stock Market Index/S&P 500 index for low costs and tax efficiency. You could get even more efficient by carefully choosing a basket of individual stocks and holding forever, which would require much more time and effort but could pay off by lowering costs and outperforming the market. Then again, odds are that you would spend a lot of time doing research and still lose to the market in the long-term.

My vote for a taxable account is either an broad index fund (VTSMX) or a tax-managed fund (Vanguard Tax-Managed Growth and Income Fund = S&P 500 tax-managed).

TSP will be taking away the percentage cap for military in a couple years I think (2006 maybe?). So, once that happens you'll probably want to max that to the legal limits too.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.