Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Since we plan to move to a retirement community in the near future, this may be good news for us. Prices should come down.

As someone that's been looking for someplace new for some time, I would say prices are going up. Because the new places are charging a lot more.

In the past year, we've only seriously considered two places. Both would be at least 50% more than where we are now. And the apartments are smaller.

The trend is to offer more and more in amenities.

One new place that recently broke ground is reportedly going to have prices between $8K and $12K per month. But they're advertising "you'll never even need to leave your apartment". They'll have a medical community right on the "campus".

Of the dozens of places we've looked at, size of the apartment has been the biggest limiting factor. I'm in a wheelchair, and many have bathrooms that I couldn't even turn around in with the wheelchair. I could only go straight in and back out. And access to the showers would be very difficult.

I can't understand how apartments designed for seniors could fail to design for prominent use of walkers and wheelchairs and scooters. Narrow hallways. Awkward turns, especially for doors.

The last place we looked at had so many doors. Each door requires space to swing open. That's wasted space in an apartment, and awkward for those with walkers and such.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.