Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 2
Since you and your wife are both retired, you likely are in a low tax bracket.

This is an interesting assumption. There are ways to make this happen but for people who prepared and didn't trust that pensions and SS would necessarily be there, it's possible that they have more than enough and may not be in a low tax rate.

And even if you planned well, going from filing MFJ to single pretty much blows up the planning. Get to 65 and then the Medicare surcharges also comes into play.

Confession - I have plenty but most is in a Trad IRA. My son wasn't happy with the return on his emergency fund so I am borrowing 10K from him until Feb(with a better interest rate than he can possibly find). He asked what to do with it to get a better return, I suggested this and he offered it at no interest. I explained the situation and insisted on interest - telling him how much it would cost me to use IRA money particularly this late in the year.. (He bought his house, recently bought a rental condo that has a year long tenant and has totally topped out on anything for retirement plus very, very likely qualifying for a pension)
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.