Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Since you are retired I think there would be no issues in rolling the 401k into a traditional IRA at a regular broker such as Fidelity*. Doing a ROTH conversion from my Fidelity IRA to my Fidelity ROTH is a simple on-line transaction, no processing delays, it happens immediately in my experience.

The conversion of the 401K after-tax needs to be done before the roll-over. I have existing TIRAs and don't want to contaminate the tax basis.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.