No. of Recommendations: 1
Since you have a 401k plan available to you whether you participate or not you are not allowed to claim a tax deduction for contributions to a traditional IRA.

Sorry, that's not correct. There are lower income limitations placed on the deductibility of IRA contributions for those who have a 401(k) or other retirement plan available, whether or not they choose to participate. Details specific to the OP's situation (income level, filing status and spouses' retirement plan availability) can be found in IRS Pub 590

As an example, a singler person who is not covered by a retirement plan (including a 401(k)) at work is allowed to make a deduction for the full amount of the contribution they are eligible for, no matter what their MAGI (Modified Adjusted Gross Income). However, a single person who is covered by a retirement plan at work, is only allowed to make a fully deductible contribution if their MAGI is $56k or below, and is able to partially deduct a contribution with a MAGI of between $56k and $66k. The contribution is not fully non-deductible until their MAGI is greater tha $66k.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.