Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 3
Since you have an account(s) both places, can you pro/con it for me for brokerage? Your faves and pet peeves, which I understand will not be all inclusive and I will do my own due diligence. I am a pretty vanilla investor with buy and hold stocks, mutual funds and ETFs being my main tools. Is Merrill Edge any better/easier to use than Vanguard? Fees would be negligible at both places for us, so that's not a huge consideration. Right now my brain is so numb from reading endless pages of legalese on-line disclosures from both places that I am becoming incoherent.

I like the free commissions from Merrill Edge, and the fact that my Merrill Edge holdings qualify me for better rewards on my BofA credit cards. I don't like that in spite of 'free commissions' that Vanguard brand mutual funds (and I presume, many other branded no-sales load mutual funds) are still charged fees.

For Vanguard, I like that you can buy/sell Vanguard branded mutual funds and ETFs commission free, and I like their very low fees on mutual funds. What I don't like is that only Vanguard branded holdings count toward their premium level services, so even though you have $1MM in individual stocks there, you still don't get free trades, because the individual stocks aren't Vanguard ETFs or mutual funds.

I have encountered a couple of issues with each when transferring assets, but I've also experienced that with other brokerages, too, so I think that's more because transfers in general seem to highlight that individual brokerages processes don't necessarily mesh well with each other's, rather than that there is something wrong with one or the other.

I pretty much use Vanguard for Vanguard branded products, and use Merrill Edge for anything non-Vanguard branded, and some Vanguard ETFs.

AJ
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.