Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Since your ultimate goal is to prove that evolution doesn't work, introducing an alien species is just a weird dodge, since they'd have to be either evolved or designed as well. You have to resort to your superbeing. So you might as well drop the aliens thing from the start.

I actually agree that the alien model is highly unlikely due to time constraints mentioned by the group previously. But you can't really get there by scientific means, rather philosophical. I mean, who knows how fast evolution could progress given the right conditions? Many current theorists claim that evolution happens in short bursts (thus the lack of transitionals). Who's to say that in a different part of the universe, evolution happened 100 times faster than it does on earth? Maybe we have some as yet undiscovered limiting factor that makes evolution proceed incredibly slowly compared to other places.

But to your main objection . . . if I offer an adequate explanation for a certain effect (ie life on earth), I don't have to explain the whole causal chain.

The point of aliens is to demonstrate that the evidence of ID does not point directly to a supernatural cause. It may ultimately lead there, but most ID theorists I'm aware of (like Behe and Dembski) believe it requires philosophical or theological arguments to get from design to God, which leaves it out of the realm of science.

-Bryan
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.