Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 15
Playbook: “When Chuck Schumer announced earlier this month that he might keep the Senate in session into August — delaying a previously scheduled recess in order to shepherd the two gigantic bills through the chamber — Sinema told the majority leader that she was not sticking around to vote.”

“She had prior vacation plans, she said, and wasn’t about to let the infrastructure or reconciliation bills get in the way.”

https://politicalwire.com/2021/07/30/sinema-wont-let-work-ge...

Yo, Kristen! This isn't one of those jobs where colleagues can be scheduled to pick up your urgent work while you have fun or where your work will still be there when you return.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Is she going to Cancun?
Amazing.

She was way more important than Progressives on one of the largest signature policies of the Democrats, and still has time to vacation.

Amazing woman and leader.

Maybe she'll go out for coffee while on vacation and according to some - stimulate the economy.

"Go Baristas!"

Oh, and I'll refer to her as Senator Sinema. I'm not a misogynist who would seek to deprive a woman of the title of respect and authority and dignity that she worked very hard for and earned. But I'm sure there's a barista out there named Kristen, plotting to buy her first house with the tips she has to split each morning with her co-workers.

Another compliment to a Democratic leader, with no personal attack on any TMF member.
No. of Recommendations: 1
We are going to so primary her when she runs again.
We are going to so primary her when she runs again.

I'm not familiar with AZ politics. Who do you have on the bench that can win the general and who's worth the risk of losing the incumbency advantage in 2024? Sinema barely got 50% of the general election vote in 2018 - which was a very good election cycle for Democrats generally. And the presidential election was razor thin in AZ in 2020.

Albaby
"We are going to so primary her when she runs again."

"McCAIN IS A RINO!!!!"

Family reunion. 2021
No. of Recommendations: 3
Who do you have on the bench that can win the general and who's worth the risk of losing the incumbency advantage in 2024?

Normally, that would be a legitimate question, but in Sinema's case, it's not clear that having a Republican Senator would actually be worse than Sinema. She appears to be a completely looney toons flake.
The Arizona Republic recently reported results of a poll of AZ Democrats that indicates over 66% of them will not vote for her in a primary. While Biden and Mark Kelly get high approval ratings among AZ Democrats, Sinema is considered a failure. She once ran for Congress as a Green Party candidate but seems to have lost her liberal convictions. Now she only wants to talk about how she is devoted to reaching across the aisle to support legislation that Republicans will agree to. Most Dems in AZ wish she would stay on her side of the aisle and support Democrats.
No. of Recommendations: 6
Normally, that would be a legitimate question, but in Sinema's case, it's not clear that having a Republican Senator would actually be worse than Sinema.

If nothing else, she keeps Mitch McConnell from being majority leader.
No. of Recommendations: 1
If nothing else, she keeps Mitch McConnell from being majority leader.

But then she refuses to consider eliminating the filibuster and she doesn't even show up for key votes. If she allows Mitch to filibuster anything he doesn't like, how is the result any different than if she were a Republican?
No. of Recommendations: 7
If she allows Mitch to filibuster anything he doesn't like, how is the result any different than if she were a Republican?

Because he's not setting the agenda.
No. of Recommendations: 4
Because he's not setting the agenda.

I realize the "moderate" Democrats out there do not want to face the facts. But Sinema is headed for primary disaster in her next AZ primary. She has several years to change course and anything can happen before she actually has to run again, but AZ Democrats do not seem impressed with a Senator who lets Mitch run Washington - even if the little (D) does appear after her name. And that's what I posted about. Sinema is not keeping her Democratic constituents happy according to polls. Over 66% of AZ Democrats say specifically that they will not vote for her in the next primary.

Because if you bother to think about it for a few seconds instead of simply rationalize Sinema's flakiness, you realize that Mitch kind of is establishing the agenda even now. He certainly is keeping the Democrats from driving any agenda. They can either drive McConnell's unstated agenda or they can be filibustered. Sure, Mitch could conceivably be inconvenienced slightly by the DEMs, but since the primary item of the GQP agenda is to thwart any efforts by, and to anger Democrats, it is only a minor inconvenience to allow Democrats to make the first move, then filibuster to dash all hope. Perhaps you could point out how the DEMs have benefited significantly because of Sinema. If you can find some good points, you might get on some of the Biden and Sinema web sites where her failures are often a topic of discussion and convince the majority of AZ Democrats why your view of their Senator is better than theirs.
Here is some reference to the survey results: https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/563905-poll-two-thirds...

https://www.azfamily.com/news/politics/arizona_politics/new-...

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2021/07/new-poll-arizon...

I didn't find the original article in the AZ Republic that I mentioned, but these surveys provide similar indications.

If you are interested in convincing AZ Democrats that they are wrong about Sinema and that they should re-elect her no matter how much she supports Mitch McConnell and his filibuster, there are social media pages for Sinema, for Joe Biden in AZ, etc. that often include discussions of Democrat's dissatisfaction with her. I'm sure most AZ Democrats would be happy for you to point out why they are wrong.
But Sinema is headed for primary disaster in her next AZ primary.

Good.
Good.

??? You seem to be talking in circles.

You both defend Sinema because she is keeping McConnell from having almost complete and direct control of the Senate agenda and are happy that she will likely not be re-elected because she allows McConnell to control the Senate agenda with the filibuster.
No. of Recommendations: 6
I'm only defending her against the idea that Republican would be better than her. That's just dumb.

But I have no problem with a better Democrat replacing her.
I'm only defending her against the idea that Republican would be better than her. That's just dumb.

Right. That's why the poll and discussion were all about the next Democratic primary.

Here in AZ only registered Democrats can vote in Democratic primaries, so when two-thirds of AZ Democrats say they will not support her in her next primary bid, that means they would be choosing another Democrat in her place.

On the other hand, while I do not see an AZ Republican I would favor over Sinema today, that doesn't mean there aren't any. I actually believe the state was better served by John McCain than it is being served by Sinema - possibly better served by Barry Goldwater than by Sinema. And my guess is that McCain was a bigger problem for Mitch McConnell than Sinema is. So while I am very resistant to voting for a Republican Senator in AZ - or a Republican to any national office today, I would not make a blanket statement that wanting any Republican in that position would be dumb compared to wanting Sinema. She's a disaster.
And my guess is that McCain was a bigger problem for Mitch McConnell than Sinema is.

McCain supported Mitch as majority leader, so your guess would be wrong.
McCain supported Mitch as majority leader, so your guess would be wrong.

Not always. I suppose you don't remember.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Farc-angle...

So I would say that it is you that is wrong . . . again.
That was his vote on repealing ObamaCare. He still voted for Mitch to be majority leader.
No one said he was perfect . . . or even good. But he still was better for AZ and the nation than Sinema. At least that's what AZ Democrats are saying. You should really see if you could write a letter to one of the newspapers in AZ that covers Sinema's sinking approval with AZ Democrats and explain why you like her so much. I'm sure you know more about everything than the AZ Democrats who have turned against her.
Why do you want Mitch McConnell to be majority leader?

See, I can do it too.
See, I can do it too.

What is it that you think you are doing?
Acting like you.
How so?
Asserting that people said something they never said.
Asserting that people said something they never said.

???

Sorry, it doesn't seem like you are really interested in discussion - at least not with me. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, but please carry on without my inputs.
No. of Recommendations: 2
I didn't know we were having a discussion. That would have required you to respond to what I actually said instead of what you wanted to pretend I said.