Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Sir Tas: I know traditional IRA's have minimum required distributions--and I believe 401(k)'s do also. Would it be possible to take a MRD and pay tax on it and put the remainder into a Roth IRA? (Or do you have to have income to match it?)

It depends on what you mean by remainder.

Amounts taken out for MRDs are permanantly withdrawn from tax deferred accounts, so if by remainder you meant the balance withdrawn from the MRD over the withholding you could not put that into the Roth. However, balances withdrawn above the MRDs could be transfered as conversions to Roth so that remainder is eligible. (Distributions from employer plans must first be rolled over to regular IRAs befor being moved into Roths-again, only the amount above the MRD is available for rollover.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.