Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I bought a new car last month, and it came with 3 months of Sirius free. I have to say--I love Sirius and am having a lot of fun exploring all the channels.

But: it's $22 a MONTH after the free trial! Seems pretty high to me. I can use it in the house, on my phone, on the computer, etc. so it's not just in the car... but I guess I'm not convinced it's worth it. I think if it was $5 a month, I'd happily pay...

And of course--it all comes down to whether or not it's worth it to me.

Of course, right now I'm not driving a lot, so I won't use in the car. When I'm home, I have Amazon music, which is a decently comprehensive. And on long trips I usually listen to Audible. I do pay $16/month for Audible, which I think is worth every penny.

I suppose since I'm questioning it, I've answered my own question--probably not worth it to me. But it is kinda nice.....
Print the post Back To Top
Be sure to get on the Serius email list.

My used Ford came with Serius built in. I've had free trials, and occasional free weeks. For a long time now I have been getting inundated with offers of:

$5/MO.
for your first 12 months
with a Select subscription. Fees and taxes apply. See Offer Details.
Save 70% on a full year.

The fine print:

Then $16.99/mo.
DETAILS: Fees and taxes apply. The subscription plan you choose will automatically renew thereafter and you will be charged according to your chosen payment method at then-current rates. Please see our Customer Agreement for complete terms and how to cancel, which includes calling us at 1-866-635-2349. All fees, content and features are subject to change. Channel lineup varies by package.

I would include the link but it identifies my specific car. But wait, I edited the URL and it didn't entirely throw me out.

https://care.siriusxm.com/subscribe/checkout/flepz?programco...

If I was driving a lot I would probably get it, but I spent minutes in my car, not hours.
I do their offer all the time...cancel in time and wait a few weeks and the offers start rolling back in. I'm on my third or fourth $60 year.

BTW you can hook your amazon echo devices 'Alexa' to your xm account and play xm radio through them.

You have to be prepared to spend some time cancelling as they are instructed not to let you go, but persevere cuz the offers after cancelling are better than any offer they cough up on the phone.

Teri
No. of Recommendations: 1
Right before your promo pricing ends, call them and tell them that you will be cancelling their service unless you can continue with the promo pricing. You need to be firm, and don’t bite on the first offer they give you. Be polite, and keep insisting on the promo pricing.

It will take 15 or 20 minutes, and you may have to ask to get bumped to someone who can authorize your request. I have been doing this every 6 months for several years, and I am still getting the promo pricing.
A customer at promo pricing is better than no customer.

Isewquilts...plays the game
A month or so ago, I saw a post about using a one-use virtual credit card for those auto-renew sites. IIRC1, the poster said that because it was one-use, then the merchant would be unable to "auto renew".

IIRC2, privacy.com was one of the sites to which he linked.
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3561091/privacycom-review-bu...

There are lots of TMF articles about temporary credit cards.

IIRC3, that thread was about protecting privacy.

😷
ralph
Depends what you listen to.

I'm a talk and book guy. 5 years ago I'd have said yes it's definitely worth it.
If it was for an over the road trucker I'd still say definitely worth it for the live stuff that might be missed otherwise.

For many of us these days I think it's been obsoleted by the rise of podcasts and audiobooks. I load up my phone with podcast downloads and I've got plenty of material to keep me occupied on the cheap.
But: it's $22 a MONTH after the free trial! Seems pretty high to me.

Me too!

I've got AM & FM & a CD player in my car and at home.

I've got a ton of CDs too, but I seldom listen to the CDs 'cause there's an FM station that plays classical music for hours (except drive/rush hour) so I just let it default to whatever classical music the guy feels like playing. $0.00 cost to me. ;-)

Give free FM a chance for your music listening business.

Desert (the bigger the radio market the more channel choices you have) Dave
. I have to say--I love Sirius and am having a lot of fun exploring all the channels.

The novelty will wear off and you'll realize that they repeat the same old music over and over again.
I do a lot of summer driving and had it off and on forever. Cancelling is a friggin nightmare, never again, then the endless mail trying to get you back.

I put all my music on USB stick, picked a good streaming service. Between YouTube and Amazon I have a lot more to pick from, more than just music and a lot of live news etc..
I've got AM & FM & a CD player in my car and at home.

Don't buy a newer vehicle. They're getting rid of CD players. Mine doesn't have one.

PSU
No. of Recommendations: 2
Don't buy a newer vehicle. They're getting rid of CD players. Mine doesn't have one.

CD to USB and you can focus on the road instead of changing discs, unless you made your own CDs packed with music.
They would, though if the software allowed photos in messages.

It didn't seem DD was too interested in converting his CDs.

PSU
i let mine expire....in a few weeks they will offer

you a $5.00 a week deal for up to a year...to me it is worth it....
Well, we had a free ride via the prior owner of my '06 F150 truck, eventually it quit, but I was able to negotiate with Sirius, they have a lot of leeway if you take the time ti get after 'em...

I wanted it mainly because of our RV tripping obviously that is limited any more and at the time I was limited to only the in-car receiver. But now it's open to the Sirius App on my iPhone, I tried adding DW's iPhone, as well, but that's not allowed. So now since I have it on my iPhone, and the trailer now has a Bluetooth radio installed (by me), we can use it about anywhere. I hesitated initially, not knowing if they were going to add a fee for the additional device, but they didn't. And it doesn't bump up my Verizon data load much, so I think we're good to go.

I'm a news junkie, so if something is going on, I can flip from my usual podcasts to Sirius links to CNN, MSNBC, or Doctor Radio, or even their music channels if I were interested/

I think I'm paying $43 every 6 months.. A fair deal.

The only complaint it their updates, for the truck receiver, right in the middle of a news story or interesting Doctor Radio discussion, I think it's because it's an older receiver, surely they could do them in the background. I don't see it on the iPhone, but I don't spend as much time on Sirius there.

Anyway, it's been good, been with them at least 10 years...

weco
It didn't seem DD was too interested in converting his CDs.

Tru dat!
I listen to mainly the comedy, there are 5 channels I think. It lifts my spirits!

BB
Like you, I had trial Sirius in my new car. Before that, I used XM over ten years ago, both in car and at home. It is merely ok. In the first place, there is no escaping the monthly cost. Secondly, there is compromised sound quality. This isn't a big issue in a car, but the audio quality really sounds crappy on even a modest home system. These disadvantages mentioned, XM/Sirius is still a "good deal" if you think it is. If you spend a lot of time driving, there is a lot of programming available.

Alternatives? Here are just a few. Am/Fm is free. However, the programming is so poor that I would sooner gouge my ear out with a red hot poker (TM) than listen to that crap. I prefer silence, thank you very much.

An option not available ten years ago (not affordably at least) is to use your mobile phone! Many newer cars have built-in Bluetooth connectivity (my 2017 KIA did, and just a base unit) so it's easy to wirelessly connect the phone. You could listen to stored music (free of cost), often can download from services such as Amazon, etc. Alternately, you can stream off the air but counts against your data. But even this may not be a big deal: you can get unlimited data for $40-60/mo., perhaps even cheaper. (Yahoo or Red Pocket, for those two rates). Finally, with streaming data you have a universe of music and other programming choices, ranging from free to modest monthly costs. I am or have been, a paid user of Pandora, SoundCloud, or Amazon Music, among others.

The mobile is also available for other uses, of course. Waze or Google maps. And you can even make calls or send texts, but please, not at 70 MPH!