Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
Sitarist- info sources:
1- Website Recombinant Capital. This months feature in webzine SIGNALS is called Homesteading the Genome. It details how genomics compamies like INCY, HYSQ, HGSI, MLNM, & CRA are becoming increasingly powerful, & how bio-tech/pharm. drug developers may have to come through them in future.
2- i don't know if their are a lot of books on business of bio-tech, let alone good ones. One i liked is called the Billion Dollar Molecule, an inside look at Vertex & their CEO Josh Boger before, during & after IPO. You get well rounded look at science, technology, business fierce rivalries in field. Incidentally, Boger is on board of directors of genomics powerhouse MLNM.
3- this may be more detail than you want or need, but if you are interested in genetics, genomics, & all the inner machinery & little beasties inside our bodies, check out the Eighth Day of Creation by Horace Freeland Judson. Prodigiously researched, it is w/out question one of most amazing efforts i have ever seen by a journalist to understand the complexity & scope of biology on its own terms. Sometimes news reports & posts like these are presented in a kind of code or shorthand, & personally i felt like it gave me a leg up to do backgrounder research like this first to better frame & give context to the firehose of information that is comin at ya, & is sure to increase in the future. A little time & work spent now grasping fundamentals can really leverage & make more useful future research(unless you are already a doctor or bio-tech professional & don't need of course). But Judson book is thick & not recommended for taking to your summer vacation in Tahiti. Biotech is in my opinion one of the most difficult areas for a layperson to handicap, but i am convinced it is possible. i personally like genomics(INCY, HYSQ, HGSI & MLNM) & genechip(AFFX & NGEN) platform companies because they are infrastructure, pick 'n shovel plays. No matter how many boom or bust 1 drug, 1 trick pony biotech's crash & burn because of a high-profile drug disappointing in phase III clinical trial, or inability to secure financing due to burnrate outpacing development, these companies will fluorish & survive by selling tools that survivors use(& there will always be lots of survivors & new companies comin down the pipe). Companies like INCY have multiple revenue streams- not only genome database platform & subscriptions, but licenses & potential royalties on any blockbuster drugs discovered thru collaborative research based on INCY propietary genes!
And patent concern not a problem. A post on another board captured this well. If i loan you a hammer to build your own house, & you promise/contract to pay me back after you sell the house, you owe me the money upon sale of said house, regardless of who has patent on hammer. INCY has contracts like these w/ 18 of the biggest 20 bio/pharm drug development houses in the world! hope this helps- t2
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.