No. of Recommendations: 2
http://www.cnbc.com/id/101133464

"This is the first time we asked if people thought they would work until they die or become too sick," said Laurie Nordquist, head of Wells Fargo Institutional Retirement and Trust. Thirty-seven percent of middle-income Americans surveyed by Wells Fargo said they have that expectation. The finding translates to just under two in five Americans who believe they will never be able to retire.

</snip>

intercst
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Given the numbers of Americans who have credit cards, use home equity as pocket change, and avoid saving what else would logic suggest?
No. of Recommendations: 6
Given the numbers of Americans who have credit cards

I fail to see what the mere act of having a credit card has to do with anything.

AI
No. of Recommendations: 1
AI, an edit did not behave as I planned and I did not proof my post. I meant to say, "Given the number of Americans who have credit card loans" or worded another way, people fail to pay off card balances so they have the privilege of borrowing money at a mere twenty something percent interest rate.
No. of Recommendations: 1
.. people fail to pay off card balances so they have the privilege of borrowing money at a mere twenty something percent interest rate.

Credit cards used appropriately are definitely convenient, but can also save money. I often turn my rewards/money back into gift cards at a 10-20% discount. Heck, just today, by shopping at Target, they had a promo 10% off all purchases and then using their card, an additional 5% off.

JLC
No. of Recommendations: 0
I always pay off my cards in full before the due date. That means that I do not pay any interest at all. Not all cards are so good, however. Some charge you interest even if you pay in full before the due date.

Definitely a good idea to avoid those.
No. of Recommendations: 0
The problem with retirement statements like these is that they seem to imply that things are worse now than in "the good old days" when pensions were the norm.

Not all companies, like small companies, had pension plans and back then lots of people lost much hope of a comfortable retirement when they lost their jobs in their 40's or 50's in lay offs or for other reasons. Private pensions were also rarely inflation adjusted.
No. of Recommendations: 25
I'll be retiring at the end of the month. My wife asked if I'm 100% certain we'd have enough to retire on. I told her the only way to be 100% certain would be to work until you die. I also told her I'm comfortable with a 99% certainty with the only uncertainty being we might not keep up with inflation 20 years down the road. If she still has doubts, I'm willing to let her work as long as she wants.
No. of Recommendations: 5
If she still has doubts, I'm willing to let her work as long as she wants.

Bravo!!!
No. of Recommendations: 6
"I'll be retiring at the end of the month. My wife asked if I'm 100% certain we'd have enough to retire on. I told her the only way to be 100% certain would be to work until you die. I also told her I'm comfortable with a 99% certainty with the only uncertainty being we might not keep up with inflation 20 years down the road. If she still has doubts, I'm willing to let her work as long as she wants."

Have a rec! This is so perfect! I have printed this out and am tucking it into a card for my husband - we're both 66 and still working and this is a question I ask him all the time!! Hahhahaha - perfect response and one I'm sure he'll keep handy!!

Thanks!
Kat (if the shoe fits....)