Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
So in this morning's Mercury News, take a wild guess what the top headline is? You'd think it was about the War in Iraq? Nope. Maybe the President's State of the Union address? Nope, that was "below-the-fold". How about the Scott Peterson trial coming to the bay area? That's making headlines, but not today. Today's headline story...

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/7759717.htm
For girl with new dog, a lesson on fairness by Scott Herhold
To the birthday girl:

Your name isn't public. But you know who you are. You live in Los Gatos, you just celebrated your 10th birthday and your mom returned from the pound with a golden retriever that once belonged to someone else. Her name is Bella, and you should give her back.

Give me a freakin' break!

The story that led to this commentary is here:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/7751611.htm

For those unfamiliar with the story, it basically goes like this. Woman A has a dog. Dog is not tagged, microchipped, or neutered. Dog escapes. Humane Society finds dog, holds for five days (per rules regarding dogs with no identification), then puts dog up for adoption. Woman A finds dog on Day 6, only to discover it has already been adopted by Woman B, for her 10 year old's birthday. Humane Sociey asks Woman B if she would be willing to return the dog, and Woman B refuses. Now Woman A is all over the newspapers, radio, etc. pleading for her dog back.
It sickens me that this poor girl who just wanted a dog for her birthday is being attacked in the media. They are not releasing her name, but how many 10 year-olds are their in Los Gatos who just got a dog? It can't be that many, and you can be sure she is getting hell from her classmates.
I consider Woman A irresponsible for not making sure her outside dog was properly tagged. This could have been prevented with a $5 collar. This is the end result, and I think they should lay off the new family. I've been to the Humane Society that this story refers to. It is always overcrowded with pets and people, and I just hope that the flak from this issue doesn't force them to hold the animals for longer, becuase they just don't have the space for it. [Note: animals that are found by the HS and have identification are held for 20 days, not 5].

Thoughts? Opinions?

-Ben
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.