Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Skill,

Theoretically, 3 each analysts could rate a stock a buy, a hold, and a sell, and all nine are correct.

Because it depends completely on the investing time horizon ... in what time frame do they expect their result to play out? The sell guy could be looking at a very difficult near term occurrence for the company, the hold guy is risk averse and sees years of difficulty with a decent chance of improvement, the buy guy thinks in 5 years his thesis will play out to the good. One could be a proponent of buying downtrodden value companies, another looking for a quick payback from growth, and the third willing to wait for steady progress in a promising industry.

So you can't depend on a buy, hold, or sell rating without understanding where that comes from.

In the context of MF you have different flavors of investing service. Hidden Gems is a value playbook, Stock Advisor recommends long holds with a real growth prospects, Rule Breakers the name speaks for itself (risky they will admit, but with serious growth prospects), Rule Your Retirement is all about managing for a time when growth gives way to income. No reason to expect the same viewpoint from any of those services.

Your mission should you decide to take it is to determine your own style, and comfort zone. Diversify and stick to a plan that fits the service context.

Back to the topic of BofI. They are not a recommendation in Stock Advisor or RYR - the two services I subscribe to. I think they may be in the Rule Breaker universe, I think I did a trial period with RB and bailed out, but liked the BofI recommendation. I like BofI for a long hold, and don't view them to be as risky as SA deems them. Also, I am not heavy in banking and finance equities, so I can justify BofI as a diversity play.

I believe that non-brick'and'mortar banking and credit unions are the best things going. I wish I could invest in my credit union, but no. So I have to go with a leader in the online banking business.

I happily hold a full position (by my reckoning) of shares of Bank of the Internet. So far so good, I have several more years to go before I will consider a move in or out.

BentMike
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.