Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Anyone have one of these doodads? How do you like it? Does is really work? Does the thing emit the annoying "out of service" tones to regular callers who are not using telemarketing "dial-a-ton-of-numbers-at-once" machines?

Thanks!
Print the post Back To Top
From what I've been able to glean (no, I don't have one but I lurk on the Usenet newsgroup comp.dcom.telecom.tech) it emits the FIRST of the three tones in the not-in-service alert. To all callers, since there's no way to ID the calls that come in to tag them as telemarketers; if there were, then that would be what they'd use to identify the calls.

I have also heard that some new telemarketing stuff ignores the out of service tone and keeps you on the list, but this is just apocryphal.
I subscribe to privacy manager via my phone company to block the automated switchboards but that does cost a bit of cash per month. Additionally you can download the 3 tones yourself onto your answering machine instead of buying the telezapper. Some of those switchboards have been marketed as defeating the telezapper and other such products but I figure it's worth a try with a free recording on your answering machine.

I rarely get any more calls but some companies are getting clever and making sure their machines send caller ID information to bypass privacy manager. That's where the tones come in.
I have also heard that some new telemarketing stuff ignores the out of service tone and keeps you on the list, but this is just apocryphal.

Actually, I think I read that this product was manufactured by the same folks that manufacture the auto-dialers. So, I suspect that they already know how to defeat the consumer product, and can/will just sell higher-priced autodialers with new features if enough people buy the consumer product.

Its a neat trick, selling to both sides...

-Brad

I had heard that the company that develops the auto dialers the telemarketers use was now working on a way around the telezapper now that it is out there. Considereing the state of technology out there today I wouldn't give it very long before the telezapper is abosolete

herb