Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
what is a good fabric for a slipcover? My cats are clawing up some chairs I just inherited, and well..I'd like to keep them around for a while (the chairs AND the cats, of course!)

I'm thinking about some cheaper cotton and not getting tooo expensive, since our cats are the world's smallest shedding machines. *grin* Any suggestions?

Heather
planning projects for the 2-3 weeks I'll be cooped up at home in the next couple of months....
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
Heather, you're thinking like a human! Think like a cat.
Use aluminum foil for a "slipcover" for a short while. Cats hate getting their claws stuck in that stuff. Depending how much you let them scratch in general, it could take a few days to a week to teach them to leave that furniture alone.
When you think they're staying away enough, remove the foil and test the cats. You might have to put it back on a couple-three times, or maybe once will do the trick.
Best part of this is, if you can endure foil for the short term, you'll prevent having to replace slipcovers every few months for as long as the furniture and cats are both alive.
ILC
Use aluminum foil for a "slipcover" for a short while.

I used saran wrap, which isn't as noticeable. That and a good squirt gun :-) Also, do they have a good scratching post of their own? When they'd start to scratch the couch, I'd take them over to their own post. Using that (and the litterbox) are about the only two things they're good at (I guess I should be happy with both those...)

Also tried the No-Scratch spray, but they actually seemed to like the smell of that stuff!

Ellen
I used saran wrap, which isn't as noticeable. That and a good squirt gun :-)
The saran wrap works well? Never tried it.
As for the squirt gun, in my experience all it does is teach them to behave when the human with the squirt gun is in the room. Congratulations if it's worked better for you.
Also tried the No-Scratch spray, but they actually seemed to like the smell of that stuff!
Is that the citrus stuff? Allegedly cats will avoid citrus, like lemon and orange, but the sprays never worked for any of my kitlets. Even fresh lemon/orange peels sometimes got their interest. Sigh.
Since we're talking cat tips, might as well throw this one in: stacking empty cans on forbidden horizontal surfaces tends to work very well the very first time. Prolly at least 50 cats over the years (used to do cat rescue), and only one had to clatter twice to learn her lesson.
ILC
aluminum foil: Unless you have a cat that likes to play with it! Shmi (our female kitty) took off with a fairly large piece we had around a piece of furniture we wanted them to avoid. She was foiled only when it wouldn't go through the cat gate with her. But she tried! Earlier, we had found little bits of foil that they had torn off and played with.

Selphiras
She was foiled only when it wouldn't go through the cat gate with her.

Pun intended?

;-)

Ellen