Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm only looking for about a 1% daily gain in my portfolio. I know it doesn't sound like much, but hey, over the course of a year it ends up being a respectable return.
Print the post Back To Top
You're looking to make 365% per year? That's more than respectable...
No. of Recommendations: 1
You're looking to make 365% per year? That's more than respectable...

Note that the market isn't open every day. Still, the point comes across, it isn't really realistic to expect a 1% daily gain.

TMFHelical
No not nearly that much. The market's closed on weekends and holidays. :-)
No. of Recommendations: 1
Oh... actually it's a much more obscene expectation than 365%.

Back out weekends and holidays and you figure the market is open 240 - 250 days a year. Let's say just 240.

(1.01^240) - 1 = 989%.

I realize this is all a jest, but just think if it were possible to reliably capture 1% each and every single day. Or even just a sizeable fraction. Or avoid all down days. It boggles the mind.

Best,

Nathan
Oh shucks, I wasn't using compounding on the 1% daily annual expectation! I like to add a "little" humor to some of my posts. Being an optomist, I have been looking for 12 to 15% returns on my 401K the last few years. After being laid off after 23 years at my company last winter, and retiring, I relied on TMF on where to invest most of my money, what was left of it.

I took an agrressive approach to my investments, didn't want to get a job as a Walmart greeter. I've cherry picked the stocks recommended and discussed. If I can get a 3% gain from todays close, I will have tripled my money in less than a year!! THANKS TMF and GG in particular!!!
Back out weekends and holidays and you figure the market is open 240 - 250 days a year. Let's say just 240.

(1.01^240) - 1 = 989%.

What the heck, let's go all crazy. Hmmm at 52 weeks, five days a week and 8 NYSE holidays we would be at 252 days. Then we would be at 1127%.

Dave
No. of Recommendations: 3
After being laid off after 23 years at my company last winter, and retiring, I relied on TMF on where to invest most of my money, what was left of it.

Swede - I am happy for your good fortune. But I wonder what the outcome would have been had you been laid off the winter before. Perhaps you would have been loaded up with AIB, TTM, NTE and CRESY.

My sister-in-law for some reason got all nervousy about the stock market in Sep 2007. She had reached a financial goal she had had for many years and could not stand the thought that things could slide her back under that goal. Her plan was to cash out and spend the next six months to a year saving so that she could have a little cushion above her goal. In Sep 2008 she gave me $10,000 and told me to invest it and she my wife and I would go on a cruise with what we had in the spring of 2009. I refused because this goes against all that try to do, not invest a lump sum at one time period and not invest money in stocks that I would be spending in six months. She laughed and told me to do it anyway and she would put more in to the trip fund if we needed it. I did what she asked and in Q1 of this year I was down over 40% of it. To my surprise she said something to the effect of, "Well that was good. I was afraid if I lost money I would be bothered but I'm okay." Here is another $50K and start doing in your way." I have not invested it all yet but the total is up over 25%. I do not credit this to doing things "my way." Luck she happened to time a great period to tiptoe back in. Now she wants to up the ante again but I warned her it would take me a couple of years to get the next chunk fully invested.

I thank GG and other MF letters and boards for all they do but I would never burden them with the expectation of maintaining the pace that things have been going the last six months. My SIL thinks I am a genious. That's okay, she thought that before. I have no worries that she would hold me responsible if things went badly nor do I fear she would be destitude. But I still feel a burden that I would not take on except for the fact that if left to her own she would rely only on Yahoo input and only stocks less than $2.

Dave

Dave