No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello everyone,

I am having problems with my computer. 1st some info.

Computer is:
Gateway G6 (Pentium II - 266Mhz)
Currently has 320MB Ram
6 GB hard drive (2.5 - 3GB used)
FAT32
Win 98
Cable Modem connection
ZoneLab Firewall

I recently upgraded my memory from 64MB to 320MB since I thought that that was slowing the computer down. However, the additional RAM did almost nothing to increase the computer speed.
I also re-ran Scandisk and Defrag on the HardDrive - Still no difference.
The slowness is noticed when I do just about anything. Clicking the start button may take 1 to 2 secs before it pops up. Then 1-2 secs for each sucessive popup window. The mouse will run intermittedly. The mouse will freeze during movement, then start moving again a few secs later. I'm at the end of what I know to do. Maybe the system is just too old, but I wouldn't think that it would run this slowly.
Sometimes I end up having to reboot the system the get some programs to run. I play civilization and there are times were the system will take 20 - 30 secs to do a move that should take 2-3 secs. Rebooting helps in the short term a little but it still is never as fast as I would think it should be.

Thanks for your help.
griffin
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.