Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 90
A few weeks ago, my stepson had to attend a funeral, to which he wore dress pants. After the funeral, I took his pants in along with mine to be drycleaned. A week later, when I picked up the dry cleaning, it had slipped my mind that I had a pair of his pants along with mine. This morning, as I got dressed, I thought it was odd that my pants felt a bit snug. Then I realized that I had just put on a pair of pants belonging to my nineteen-year-old stepson, and they really fit ok.

I've now lost five full inches off my waist. Over the last three years I've gone from size 40 to 35.

More importantly, I just had my annual physical, and my blood chemistry has improved to the point that my doctor thinks it likely that, if I continue with my healthier habits of exercise and a vastly increased intake of fruits and vegetables, I may be able to stop taking cholesterol medication in the very near future.

Yay for me.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi eudaimon6,

I've been on the cholesterol-fighting bandwagon as well, due to my genetically-enhanced (OK I joke) cholesterol-producing liver. Even though I have otherwise healthy vitals and weight, my levels remain stubbornly on the high-end.

The soluble fiber intake is key (some fruits/veggies are better than others) and I'm wondering if you've tried adding these to your regimen. In-particular:

* 2-to-4 ounces of psyllium (or equal amount of oat bran), 3 times per day. This has shown in various studies to improve cholesterol ratios by as much as 15%.

* No-flush Niacin supplement, anywhere from 500mg to 1500mg per day (spread out among 2-3 doses). The Niacin interferes with cholesterol production in the liver. About 500mg/day was good enough for me to see results, but some folks need more, depending on body mass, etc.

Personally, I do both of these things, to keep my levels under control without medication. I first found out about them in the book "The 8-week Cholesterol Cure". It's a little bit dated now, but the book was a good jumping off point for me when it came to researching a more effective supplementation routine. I also take Alpha-Lipoic Acid and other multivitamin supplements, and I don't eat sugar, butter, or most meats.

Good luck with your lipids, and congratulations!

~dswing
No. of Recommendations: 0
I've eaten a lot of oat bran in the last year, as a matter of fact. I'm not sure what a no-flush niacin supplement, is, but I expect it is something beyond what you'd get in a typical multivitamin. I'll look into it.

I'm still about twentyfive pounds overweight, and all my ratios are now within acceptable ranges. I'm about halfway to where I want to be.

I am very interested in anything that will get me off medication. Aside from the expense, I agree with my doctor that "no drugs are better than any drugs".

Thanks for the tips and the encouragement. Good luck to you also.

Dean
The thread title should have been entitled "Not so small achievement."

You are to be congratulated. Good luck, good work, keep it up, good health.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Niacin is a B vitamin. If you take "plain" Niacin in a significant dose, it causes blood vessel dilation, which results in some redness/burning/itching sensation (known as "Niacin flush") in the hands/neck/face ... some people find this unpleasant ...

So they have a slow-releasing formula that mitigates the flush factor -- some product labels call it "no-flush Niacin".

Anyway, it sounds like you may not need it, since your levels are good and you have more weight to go.

On the fiber tip, I buy generic Psyllium husks at the health food store. It's cheap, and you can easily add a couple of tablespoons to foods like yogurt or blended into a smoothie. It also solves the problem of how to get the fiber into your diet without adding any extra carbs or calories.

~dswing
Thanks,

I'll check into the pysllium. I generally eat a cup of yogurt a day, so it'll be easy to incorporate, especially on days when I don't eat oatmeal.

I eat a lot of oat cereal. I've come to like it a lot.

Mostly I just want to finish what I've started.