Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I am 52 years old and employed, making 22,000 a year. I had 42,000 in a retirement fund from a prior employer. I decided to start up a small business selling go karts, parts and rebuilding their motors and use this money to buy a van and trailer and necessary equipment and parts. I have to travel every weekend to these races to get customers. Because I am not over 59 1/2 and took the money in a lump sum I would have to pay over 12,000 in taxes if it wasn't for the business. My question is since I am just starting the business and all of the money went on the purchase of the van and trailer (paid cash) and equipment (paid cash) and I have not realized any profit how do I decrease the amount of taxes ($12,000) that I owe. I know some about depreciation, amoritization, etc. Thank you for your help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.