Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

Back in January I started a small business. It was a miserable failure, and I ended it in June. Before I wash my hands of the whole thing, I want to make sure that I'm squared away with the IRS.

Early on my banker asked if I had a CPA, and when I said I didn't, she gave me the name of a Jackson Hewitt rep. I just called her and was told that all she does is tax returns and that she's not a CPA. So I'm not sure what that was all about.

Bottom line, I spent a largish sum of money, keeping good receipts for everything, and my business earned the opposite of a largish sum of revenue. I am 100% confident that I don't owe tax of any kind, but I'm not clear on A) if I need to file something, or B) how do I let the powers-that-be now that I'm done with the whole thing.

Thanks in advance.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.