Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Smiling Joe.
I retired from Federal employment in Falls Church Va on May 30, 1997 and departed for Brookings OR one week lateron June 6 after closing our house. We packed out the first week of June.
We wanted to live by the ocean which we now do and in a small town. We had visited Brookings several times over the years but had never lived in the west. We had bought the house in January of 1997. We had looked at other ocean and water sites but did not want snow- extreme heat or humidity, few bugs misquitoes and not too expensive.we had vacationed on east coast Maine to Florida and only considered Eastern Shore Md/VA.
CA too expensive and did not like politics.
Brookings has temp of 35-60 in winter and 45 to 75 in summer with few bugs except spiders and slugs Due to winter rains of 70-85 inches but no rain during summer.
After 4 years my wife would like to be nearer better medical and larger markets, museums etc but we enjoy the weather.
With hind sight perhaps we should have rented both houses a year. We did plan the move almost a year in advance. Mostly my wishes and wife agreeing but perhaps not a full 100%. Thus make sure if married that both spouses are in complete agreement on the decison.
whalewatcher2

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.