Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
smith107: "I sold my GM stock in 2005. The stock had been purchased by my parents on 10/25/1975.

In 1989, GM split 2-for-1.

According to GM's price history, the closing price on the day of purchase (10/25/1975) was $21.73. The split adjustment factor is 2.53151:1 and the "actual price" is $55.00."

smith107: "My mother is still living and the stock is part of a living trust. I have power of attorney over the trust.

Therefore, I'm using the 1975 date as a starting point. I'm familiar with the Hughes and Delphi issuses. In fact, I sold Delphi as well. I subtracted the number of Delphi and Hughes shares from the number of GM shares I held prior to the spinoffs, to come up with the number of GM shares to use as a cost basis."

Color me dumb, but what does the closing price on the purchase date by your parents have to do with anything???

You parents basis was what they paid, plus commission, regardless of what price the stock closed at the day they purchased.

You do not mention your father, so I cannot tell whether he is still living and whether he owned the stock at one time and whether there may have been a step-up in basis (either all or 1/2, depending upon title and state in which your parents lived).

You explanation of your accounting for the Delphi & Hughes spin-offs also does not sound correct to me.

I am biting my tongue about your tax advisor.

Good luck. Regards, JAFO
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.