No. of Recommendations: 0
There are ionization and photoelectric smoke alarms. Ionization alarms are better at detecting fast flaming fires while photoelectric alarms are better at detecting slower smoldering fires. Which smoke detectors did you install or did you install a dual alarm?

Recently, both of my CO detectors reached the end of their life so I have to replace them. Right now, all of my smoke alarms are the ionization type. I was considering replacing a few of the hardwired alarms with photoelectric/CO alarms. In the upstairs hallway, there are two hardwired alarms - one at each end. I thought possibly that I may leave one ionization alarm in place and replace the other with a photoelectric/CO alarm.

I could cover the downstairs with a dual ionization/photoelectric alarm since there is already a new CO detector in the area.

PSU
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
We purchased new construction in December 2017. The builder installed two different smoke detectors in houses - both of which I am very pleased with - the best I have ever had.

There are a total of 6 in our house. Three First Alert Model 9120B units are mounted in each of the three bedrooms. These use a single 9 volt battery. The only negative about any of the units is with the 9120B unit. It relates to battery replacement. The molded in plastic markings for battery polarity are really hard to read. I actually had to remove one alarm from the ceiling to read. Normally this would not be an issue, but even putting a battery with the proper orientation is somewhat difficult.

We have a bonus room above the garage. In the bonus room and hallways just outside the bedrooms we have First Alert SC7010B units. These are powered by two AA batteries. Battery replacement on these is so easy I could do it blindfolded standing on one leg.

I checked the voltage in December 2018 and since all were still actually above the nominal voltages of 9.00 and 1.50 volts, I did not swap batteries. December 15th is my next check up date.

The chirp codes on these units are different, but clear. For the SC7010B units 4 chirps, pause, 4 chirps is a low level CO alert. A single chirp means replace the battery. Three chirp bursts for malfunction - replacement required. Five chirps is an End of Life.

I have no idea why Kolter Homes specified two different alarms.
The chirp codes on these units are different, but clear. For the SC7010B units 4 chirps, pause, 4 chirps is a low level CO alert. A single chirp means replace the battery. Three chirp bursts for malfunction - replacement required. Five chirps is an End of Life.

These different chirp codes are a pain. I just replaced a CO detector last week.
I read the manual and I printed a label with a label maker of the codes and taped it to the unit so it is easy to read. This Kidde unit expires (with a chirp code) in 10 years and has a 3 day pause, repeatable up to 10 times before it chirps you to insanity.
I'm not going to remember this, but its on the label.

Mike
Which smoke detectors did you install or did you install a dual alarm?

Replaced the majority of my alarms with hardwired ionizing-CO combo units. Two areas that for whatever reason, had recurrent false alarms, I replaced with photoelectric without issues. ALL are 10-year lithium batteries so no annual BS needed.

Interesting, the photoelectric, likely since they require a disruption of a beam, have spider protection. That's what triggered my old detector (in one problem area) and prompted my replacement since I found them all to be 12 years old.

LakeD
This thread reminds me of what happened once while we were staying at a motel years ago. About three a.m. (!), all hell broke loose when the HARD WIRED detector in the ceiling went off in our room -- and apparently in several others! I could not silence it (obviously, no battery to pull).

It went on for several minutes until management got to shut the things off. We never did find out what happened. Apparently something in the wiring.

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 1
Which smoke detectors did you install or did you install a dual alarm?

A few years back I replaced all of ours with hardwired First Alert photo-electrics. Almost immediately we started having false alarms. I tried replacing them individually without success and eventually switched all of them to Nest Protects and haven't had a false alarm in the year since. The Nest alarms are all split spectrum photoelectric/CO. I like the fact that I could disable them from my phone if there's a false alarm though I haven't had to do it yet. You can also schedule self-tests and check status from the phone app. They're definitely more $$ but so far worth it.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Almost immediately we started having false alarms.

That's not good. When my first CO detector started it's end of life beeping, I was at work. When I came home, I couldn't find my dog in the house. He was sitting in the very back corner of my yard. Over Thanksgiving, another CO detector started beeping. We were out to dinner with my inlaws. When we came home, we found the dog under a bush in the rain in the backyard.

PSU
PSU: Which smoke detectors did you install or did you install a dual alarm?
——————————————

Per HodorHodorHodor's recommendation and product experience, I just ordered Google Nest Protect Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors from Costco Online, offering a 2-pack at the lowest price that I’ve currently found available (log on for price), limit 2 per member, offer valid 12/10/19-12/29/19.
https://www.costco.com/google-nest-protect-smoke-and-carbon-...
Product features:
• Power source: battery or hardwired
• Wired version includes AC 120V connector
• Battery Powered Version - 6 lithium batteries included
• Split-Spectrum Smoke Sensor detects fast and slow burning fires
• Speaks to you and sends alerts to your cell phone
• Requires Wifi 2.4GHz connection

I ordered one 2-pack hardwired and the other 2-pack battery operated.

As a Holiday offering, with each purchased 2-pack item, Costco adds a free Google Nest Mini (2nd Gen) Smart Speaker Powered by Google Assistant, Chalk, 2-pack.
https://www.costco.com/.product.2223030.html

Here are recent product reviews by two of my favorites:
Wirecutter 10/16/2019
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-smart-smoke-alarm/
Tom's Guide 11/20/2018
https://www.tomsguide.com/us/nest-protect,review-5073.html

More info at Google Nest Protect: Overview & Tech Specs
https://store.google.com/us/product/nest_protect_2nd_gen?hl=...
Excellent instructions for location, installation and set up.

Regards,
Ray