Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi,

I'm planning vacation to Mexico or Caribbean this May for our anniversary.

My wife likes snorkeling a lot, though we are only beginners, so I'm thinking a place we can do some easy snorkeling together. I heard there are places to "swim with turtles and dolphins", that would be even better.

Can you recommend a vacation place where
1. Can do snorkeling for beginners,
2. Relaxing, i.e. no need to come up with an itinerary every day, preferably no need to drive. Biking would be fun.
3. Four or five days trip.

We have just been to Hawaii last summer, so I'm looking into Puerto Vallarta or Acapulco, because we live in San Jose, California and they are not that far. No sure whether they are good places for snorkeling and swimming.

Thanks a lot,
Qing
Print the post Back To Top
If you like snorkeling, a great experience is Sting Ray City in Grand Cayman. Though, some people are intimidated by being around quite a few large sting rays. It was one of my best snorkeling experiences ever.
I would have to vote for St John's in the USVI for the best snorkling.
No. of Recommendations: 1
I'm looking into Puerto Vallarta or Acapulco, because we live in San Jose, California and they are not that far. No sure whether they are good places for snorkeling and swimming.

I have no experience with PV, but I have tried snorkeling and scuba at Acapulco. I thought it wasn't the best place as the heavy wave action keeps the sediments stirred up a bit and the water is nowhere near as clear as in the Yucatan.

My wife likes snorkeling a lot, though we are only beginners, so I'm thinking a place we can do some easy snorkeling together. I heard there are places to "swim with turtles and dolphins", that would be even better.

Can you recommend a vacation place where
1. Can do snorkeling for beginners,
2. Relaxing, i.e. no need to come up with an itinerary every day, preferably no need to drive. Biking would be fun.
3. Four or five days trip.

I'd recommend you look into Isla Mujeres. It's a small island off the coast near Cancun, but much less crowded and much quieter. Very relaxing place. We usually stay at the north end of the island at Playa Norte.

The wife and I have snorkled there (and we're real beginners at it) and the water is crystal clear. There are a couple of close in reefs that make it very easy to do. For one of them we signed up with a small group and a guy took us out in a small boat. For the other (El Garrafon) we we able to swim to the reef from the shore. And yes, they also have swimming with the dolphins there (I know nothing about it but here's a link):
http://www.dolphindiscovery.com/islamujeres/

Definitely no need to drive. Not much traffic, so renting a bike and cruising around the island is perfect. They also rent golf carts to drive around the island.

4-5 days there would be just right.

You may find someplace that suits your needs better, but I think that Isla Mujeres comes pretty close to fitting your description.

Regards

G.F.
I have not been there but I have heard good things(years ago) about Belize.

I recall hearing about hurricane damage to their reefs, so you should check out what the current situation is.

Greg
No. of Recommendations: 1
You could consider Bonaire. Lots of little beaches (mostly rocky ones) with good snorkeling. Wonderful scuba diving.