Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 39
I mentioned on Thursday (ish -- bloody time zones, don't know when it was in America) that I had my bags packed and was ready to go on a trip with my college friends. Just got back and had a blast -- lots of fun snorkeling and, oh my goodness, the food (I will have to eat simply for a month to reverse the damage to my arteries and wallet but man was it worth it). I thought you would get a kick out of something we heard on the radio on the first leg of the trip back.

(Names changed for privacy and because my memory for them is terrible.)

Announcer: "And in local news, a tragedy was narrowly averted earlier today when Yusuke Tanaka, aged 6, and his father Taro were bathing at a hot springs."

Father: "The hot springs is mostly as deep as normal (editor's note: about as high as your knee), but a section of it is blocked off with a raised wooden log. Past the log it is much deeper. I told Yusuke he could sit in the shallow end while I finished washing up, turned my head while I was putting the shampoo in, and when I turned around Yusuke was standing at the entrance to the deep end. I called out to him 'No, Yusuke, that's too deep!" and started to run to the pool, but he had already fallen in.

Announcer: "And what happened then?"

Father: "He came out of nowhere. Dived in, grabbed Yusuke before he had been down more than a second, handed him to me, and then bowed and ran to the corner."

Announcer: "But there is a twist to this Good Samaritan tale... Yusuke, what did he look like?"

Yusuke: "He was like 3 meters tall (editor's note: 9 feet) and as big as the panda bear doll at the theatre that they have for Kung Fu Panda (editor's note: really freaking big) and his skin was whiter than rice and!"

Announcer: "That's right, it seems our unlikely hero was a foreigner."

Proprietress: "Well, we don't get many up in these parts. Sure, got a few Brazilians working at the factory in the town next door, but this is sort of off the usual foreigner tourist path if you know what I mean. Still, powerful glad that he was there to help."

Announcer: "So did you get a chance to talk with him, Yusuke?"

Yusuke: "No, he went straight to the corner. I think he doesn't like to get stared at, because everyone was looking at him and he got up out of the bath right afterwards and his face was very red except where it was white but maybe that was because it was hot instead of him being shy and..."

Announcer: "So what do you want to tell him?"

Yusuke: "I want to say "thanks big brother!" except Dad says maybe he doesn't understand so I have to say "Sank Yuuuuu" which is how you say "Thank you" in Foreigner."

Announcer: "We hope he heard that..."

Lady Friend #3: "Aww, what a nice story..."
Lady Friend #2: "He's so cuuuuuuuuute."

Announcer: "...This is Didn't-Catch-Her-Name reporting from 1000 Maidens Hot Spring and Resort."

Guy Friend #4: "Wait a minute, whaaaa---?"

Nine sets of eyes turn to me.

I really hate being stared at.
Print the post  

Announcements

UGC Disclosure Notice Regarding Credit Card Posts
Community board discussions about credit cards are not provided or commissioned by banks who may have advertising relationships with The Motley Fool. Responses have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.
TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.