Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5
So, according to DIS, their new streaming service will of course have Marvel, Disney, Pixar, and LucasFilm [Star Wars Episodes I-VI will not be on the service as Disney sold the rights to Turner until 2024.] which is totally great but a small number of movies, and their other library is 400-500 films which is....not great at all?

Leaving aside TV series from DIS/LGF for now, you'd really think they'd want to grab the 15-16k library of LGF to add content to their platform: My Little Pony, Twilight, Dirty Dancing, whatever. They could just roll in Starz, Encore, MoviePlex to the Disney+ service for no added cost or a small one.
Also, Starz still has rights to the Disney-owned Touchstone Pictures for more years.

If they didn't want violent R-rated movies they could just sell them although of course Marvel films like Deadpool are very, very R-rated. As are Blade, Punisher, Kick-ass, Daredevil, Logan and their sequels.

Additionally, they would of course get all the LGF tv series as well and also able to cut duplicative costs there. Many of the canceled NFLX tv series DIS can't start up again until 2020.

DIS already is committed to spending $300m for a total of 27 episodes of a new series from Star Wars, also one from Scarlet Witch, and Loki. Buying 51% of LGF's $3.3b equity seems like a bargain to me.

Of course, NFLX could come to the same conclusion.

Stock up 4% today fwiw.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.