No. of Recommendations: 2
So, are there any books that you've read that you wish you read before making the leap? Are there any other books that have been inspirational or invaluable in your decision to become self-employed?

One of the best books I ever read was "Growing a Business" by Paul Hawken - $10.40 at Amazon ... I read it YEARS ago, but I still carry in my mind one of his major themes, which is that having too much capital to start a business is often a problem, not an asset. Money doesn't buy creativity and it doesn't let you "learn the ropes" one little step at a time, which you just have to do regardless of what business you're in. You NEVER know as much as you think you do.

And as anyone in a business for themselves can tell you, it's super-easy to spend, spend, spend, and there are plenty of eager sales people out there trying to suck money out of small entrepreneurial ventures (particularly startups). Sadly, I think a lot of entrepreneurs get discouraged when, for example, that $400 a month yellow pages ad brings them very little business, and then they end up exhausting all their capital on it and other foolish expenditures that just weren't well thought out.

Anyway, check that book out .. it's a quick and easy read and will probably make you think about some things in a new way.

james
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.