No. of Recommendations: 0
So can anyone tell me exactly why it would be better to invest in a bond fund than in high dividend stocks like NLY

Asking why a bond fund is better than NLY is like asking why Oklahoma is better than Missouri. Neither is better or worse- they're different.

First, NLY is an individual security. I'd hold funds instead of securities for diversification purposes.

Second, NLY is a mortgage REIT. It's a good idea to have a small (~7%) portion of your portfolio in REITs, of which a small portion might be mortgage REITS (most REITs own real estate, not securities).

You can own anywhere from 0%-100% of your portfolio in bonds (and other fixed income investments), depending on your time horizon, risk tolerance, etc.

Neither is safe from erosion of the initial investment

No investment is totally safe from erosion of the initial investment in real terms. (even your TIPS will erode if the CPI number isn't accurate). Owning a bond fund is just like owning a bond/CD ladder. The "NAV" (current value) of your ladder will fluctuate, but if you wait until each bond matures this doesn't affect you. Same with a bond fund, except in extreme circumstances.

and NLY has much better dividends

If you ever wonder why one investment offers a higher return than another, the answer is usually risk. NLY is a high risk, highly leveraged investment. These guys can return you that juicy spread between short and long term rates as long as short term rates stay low, but what happens if they rise a couple of points? I'm not a mortgage REIT expert but I'd guess that div could be wiped out pretty easily. And then what would happen to the share price?

In short, there's no free lunch, which is why you should diversify.

Nick

Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.