Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
So... can he just file another "new" return with a later filing date than the original return or will this create problems?

Actually this is the correct method before the original due date. Since it can't be filed electronically it has to be filed on paper, and when it tries to post it will bounce out to a human as a duplicate. By that time the data will have been transcribed, so it should be easy to resolve. In theory.

Returning to the rattleground of the mind, there's something in mine saying you should mark it "corrected" so the intervening human knows what happened. But I'm not sure about that.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.