Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
So did you/will you tell the chair how wrong she was in her assumption, in the interests of open communication on racial issues? Or just let it lie?

We had limited time, so I just left it. If we had more time I might have clued her in. The other woman on the panel with me assumed (incorrectly) that when I said I was in my last year of coursework that I was working on a PhD. She looked genuinely shocked when I corrected her (I'm getting my BS in Criminal Justice. Be the change you want to see, right?).

I completely understand that I will never know what it's like to be Black. I'm white. However, through intersectionality, I do understand what it's like to see someone promoted ahead of you, or being offered less money for a job because your boss trusted that you were "too nice" to be "aggressive" in your salary demands. Or even have it suggested that you got your job because the boss needed to hire a few more skirts.

Speaking of which, isn't it interesting that if a man stands up for himself and asks for more money in a job interview or when looking for a raise, they call him "confident" and "assertive", but if a woman does it, she gets labeled "bitchy"?

Tell your son to hang in there. It's probably going to be a bumpy ride over the next few years, but hopefully, there will be meaningful dialog. I'm seeing it in campuses all over the country.

LWW
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.