No. of Recommendations: 0
So, dinialists, when you read an article like this, do you think something like this?

It is rather distressing to find scientists uncritically buying in to this stuff, but then few of then have looked into it, and if they have doubts they keep quiet about it. More and more scientists attempt to connect their work to global warming. You have mountain biologists, ichthyologists, entomologists, agriculturalists and the like trying to connect their work to global warming because normally their fields are sleepy little corners of science that have a great deal of trouble getting any funding. Climate science used to be a sleepy corner of science, then they discovered the power of doom and gloom scenarios, and voila! they get billions.

In point of fact, it's been 15 years since there has been a significant increase in global average temperatures. In order for effects of rising temperatures to be seen there have to be, you know, rising temperatures.

If temperatures do rise then maybe they'll be right.

One other point is that the rise in temperatures we have seen over the past 100 years amounts to about 0.15 degrees Celcius per decade. In other words, within our lifetimes the difference will be a fraction of a degree if the trend continues. Such a difference isn't enough to produce any significant change in the flora or fauna. Of course, the computer models are predicting an accelerating increase, but we haven't seen that so far (Michael Mann notwithstanding.) What we have seen is that the models have missed the mark big time over the last 15 years.

Convienently enough for the scientists currently living, the dire aspects of their predictions can't be tested until after they've long been dead, 50 to 100 years into the future.

(I wish I could get a gig like that. When I'm wrong in my work it's almost immediately apparent. These guys make more and more outrageous predictions that can't be tested and people just give them more money the more ridiculous they get.)

Given that these models have never been proven to be accurate and have often been proven to be wrong it's silly and pseudo-scientific to base policies and plans on them.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.