Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
So far I don't see anything unusual. The sky is always falling, conditions are always changing. The future is uncertain and always different than the past.

People who borrow more than they can afford (credit cards/mortgages) get squished. People who don't do their research (ex. exercise options w/o a plan to cover taxes) and follow the latest hot fad (ex. housing speculation/investing too much in money losing companies) get squished.

Long term investors who buy value and can sit out a few bad years do well.

Lot's of people made lot's of money following fads, those who got hurt were those who didn't know it was a fad. People who played the Beanie Baby market and kept a low inventory probably did ok. Those who thought Beanie Babies had real value and collected them to build a nest egg, didn't.

For those sitting on the side when prices drop 20% and it comes time to purchase, will the price be higher or lower than today?

The condo I thought was incredibly expensive for $45k in 1976, and then bought for %55k in 1977 dropped 30% during the 90's real estate crash, I could have picked it up at that time for only $97k.

As always, the best time to plant a tree was five years ago.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.