Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
So for example if I reply to a friend about my soul sucking succubus of an ex-wife, my children don't need to be seeing that. So my solution, never post anything on FB.

My solution is treat Facebook as a public bulletin board. Never put anything on there you don't want public.

People on mine like photos of pets, kids, scenery, wildlife, flowers, jokes, remanences of lots of stuff from the past: stars, celebrities, movies, TV shows, antiques, and clever stuff of all sorts. It's for entertainment, not too much politics.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
DW and I have never nor will ever participate in that or any other CCP-modeled medium whose only purpose is to gather as much personal information on us as they can, sell it and catalogue it to use against us if the occasion should arise. That, you can count on.

BruceM
No. of Recommendations: 0
I have the max 5000 friends on Facebook. People from all other the globe. They are there for all sorts of reasons. Maybe to practice the English and learn something about US culture.

I find the exchange educational and informative. So far no big problems I couldn't ignore.
No. of Recommendations: 7
20 or 18 years ago, DW figured Facebook was the greatest thing since sliced bread and opened an account for me. The problem is that I didn’t want the account, I don’t know the password and I can’t kill the account. Every few weeks I gets e-mails from people with suggestions and friends requests,
;-(

Stolen from the Fool’s Humor and Urban Legends Board a few years ago;
Should I Really Join Facebook?

When I bought my Blackberry, I thought about the 30-year business I ran with 1800 employees, all without a cell phone that plays music, takes videos, pictures and communicates with Facebook and Twitter.

I signed up, under duress, for Twitter and Facebook, so my seven kids, their spouses, my 13 grand kids and 2 great- grand-kids could communicate with me in the modern way. I figured I could handle something as simple as Twitter with only 140 characters of space.

My phone was beeping every three minutes with the details of everything except the bowel movements of the entire next generation.

I am not ready to live like this. I keep my cell phone in the garage in my golf bag.

The kids bought me a GPS for my last birthday because they say I get lost every now and then going over to the grocery store or library. I keep that in a box under my tool bench with the Bluetooth [it's red] phone I am supposed to use when I drive. I wore it once and was standing in line at Barnes and Noble talking to my wife and everyone in the nearest 50 yards was glaring at me. I had to take my hearing aid out to use it, and I got a little loud.

I mean, the GPS looked pretty smart on my dash board, but the lady inside that gadget was the most annoying, rudest person I had run into in a long time. Every 10 minutes, she would sarcastically say, "Re-calc-u-lating." You would think that she could be nicer. It was like she could barely tolerate me. She would let go with a deep sigh and then tell me to make a U-turn at the next light. Then, if I made a right turn instead. Well, it was not a good relationship...

When I get really lost now, I call my wife and tell her the name of the cross streets and, while she is starting to develop the same tone as Gypsy, the GPS lady, at least she loves me.

To be perfectly frank, I am still trying to learn how to use the cordless phones in our house. We have had them for 4 years, but I still haven't figured out how I lose three phones all at once and have to run around digging under chair cushions, checking bathrooms, and the dirty laundry baskets when the phone rings.

The world is just getting too complex for me.

They even mess me up every time I go to the grocery store.

You would think they could settle on something themselves, but this sudden "Paper or Plastic?" Every time I check out, just knocks me for a loop. I bought some of those cloth reusable bags to avoid looking confused, but I never remember to take them with me.

Now I toss it back to them.

When they ask me, "Paper or plastic?" I just say, "Doesn't matter to me. I am bi-sacksual." Then it's their turn to stare at me with a blank look.

I was recently asked if I tweet. I answered, No, but I do fart a lot."

P.S. I know some of you are not over 70. I sent it to you to allow you to forward it to those who are. I figured your sense of humor could handle it....

We senior citizens don't need any more gadgets. The TV remote and the garage door remote are about all we can handle.
;-)

C.J.V. - I gots me a flip phone that I only answer about once a week - I hates phones, me
Paul, how do you find the time to read all those posts there and here and respond to them? I find Facebook to be a time-sink, pulling and sapping me of time and energy-emotional and physical, that I just can’t do it and I also dislike them making money off my information, no matter how much they assure me of improved privacy.

My hat’s off to you Bruce for being able to do this. I know my stamina has decreased as I’ve aged so that may be part of it, but the Facebook dislike started a long time ago and it was all about privacy.
There are plus sides and minus sides to Facebook.

Lucky Dog
I meant Paul not Bruce.
the easy way to manage Facebook is just stay in the 'groups' mode.....and never or seldom bother to check the home page

There are tons of groups with common interests. Check my notifications and scan my groups (half dozen of them).

check my home page occasionally...... loads of crap, ads, etc, there......zip through it.....a few interesting things, but learn to skip over most of the stuff quickly with hardly a glance.

Spend 90% of my time in 2 or 3 groups.

t
oh, and don't 'friend' a gazillion people either....

t.
My solution is time budgeting. I spend abt 20 minutes a day looking at new posts and sharing the ones I like. That seems to be enough to keep it interesting on Facebook. I don't try to read them all.
oh, and don't 'friend' a gazillion people either....

t.

--------------

What I found was that I would get friend requests from friends, my family, my ex-wifes family, and people I work with and not wanting to be rude, I accepted them all.

Then I realized that each of these separate constituencies could see everything I might post. So for example if I reply to a friend about my soul sucking succubus of an ex-wife, my children don't need to be seeing that. So my solution, never post anything on FB.

I just use FB to see the pics of my grand kids that my daughter posts and occassionally FB will offer some video that I watch, Action Lab or the Slo-mo guys for example.

My phone was beeping every three minutes with the details of everything except the bowel movements of the entire next generation.

You must not have any new first-time parents in your family...
"I meant Paul not Bruce. "

Might cause a little confusion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ojhtq51Ya8

Howie52
So for example if I reply to a friend about my soul sucking succubus of an ex-wife, my children don't need to be seeing that. So my solution, never post anything on FB.

My solution is treat Facebook as a public bulletin board. Never put anything on there you don't want public.

People on mine like photos of pets, kids, scenery, wildlife, flowers, jokes, remanences of lots of stuff from the past: stars, celebrities, movies, TV shows, antiques, and clever stuff of all sorts. It's for entertainment, not too much politics.
Thanks Bruce….i mean Howie :)
You would think they could settle on something themselves, but this sudden "Paper or Plastic?" Every time I check out, just knocks me for a loop. I bought some of those cloth reusable bags to avoid looking confused, but I never remember to take them with me.

Another UK study, which only considered the climate change impact, found that to have lower global warming potential than single-use plastic bags:
non-woven polypropylene bags should be used 11 times
cotton bags should be used 131 times.

https://phys.org/news/2018-08-reuse-bags.html

It takes land, water, and energy (to plow, plant, reap) the cotton, and energy to make the raw cotton into bags.
No. of Recommendations: 2
"It takes land, water, and energy (to plow, plant, reap) the cotton, and energy to make the raw cotton into bags."

One of the dirtiest germ-laden surfaces is the inside of re-usable shopping bags,unless you regularly wash them......which uses water & energy.