Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
So - going with the assumption that this is due to exchange rates - which of the methods I suggested (or perhaps a completely different) one, do you suggest that I use?


My working assumption is that brokers know more about 1099B reporting than I do. They prepare 10s or 100s of thousands of them each year. I prepare exactly none. (I use a lot of them for preparing returns, but don't prepare any myself.) So I'm rather hesitant to say they are wrong. That doesn't mean they aren't wrong, but I'd need to know a lot more about the correct way to report transactions denominated in foreign currencies before trying to suggest changes to their 1099B.

However, if I were to want to report different amounts than were on the 1099B, the correct way to do that is to report the 1099B numbers on Form 8949 (where each transaction is initially reported), report your calculated cost basis, and than use one of the adjustment codes to adjust the sale price to your calculated amount.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.