Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
So how much embroidering do you do? My machine is actually the first one that New Home did that could embroider, and I found I did it a couple of times, but that was about it. Of course, it was fairly limited in capability, although advanced for its time, and I didn't want to have to deal with doing patterns in pieces and getting the set-up just right each time it would have needed to be moved.

Most of the embroidery I do is as trim to the clothing. One thing I really love about the Bernina is the versatility. Quite honestly, that machine can handle ANYTHING!!! I've even sewn leather on it! It is tough as nails, and works like a charm. I love the fact that I can sew almost anything on it simply by changing the needle(s) and the foot. I have a serger also simply because even though the Bernina can do a serger-type stitch for knits, it's kinda slow compared to my serger. When I'm making stuff like bathing suits, I use the actual serger for long straight (or mostly straight) seams, and the Bernina serger stitch for curvy areas. I love that I can use almost any thread in it and it still works wonderfully.

Although I do not do a lot of quilting, I have done quilting on the Bernina, and it was great. Like the others said, I sew way too fast for the BSR. Truthfully, if I sewed as slow as the BSR, I wouldn't need the BSR! LOL! I found for me, if I went as slow as the stitch regulator, the Bernina kept the stitches pretty uniform anyway.

BTW, something you may like about the Bernina also is that you can do appliqués on it too. I have not done them much because I really like using the embroidery as accents on clothing rather than as individual items, but it is really nice.

Okay, and for the MAJOR point that I truly, truly love about the Bernina - the Needle Threader!! I am old, and blind as a bat, so for me, that is a godsend.

HTH (and sorry I was so late, that "work" thing, you know),
Kathleen

P.S. Personally, if I had to choose, I would get the embroidery module. I think you will find it a lot more useful in the long run.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.