Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 2
So I assume someone at this company made a mistake.

Sounds like it. Get in touch with them--I'd write--and ask them to correct it. All done.

It may or may not get all fixed up so the IRS or a state doesn't contact you. Time will tell. But this is one of those "things you can control, things you can't" situations, so spend as little time as possible on it and move on. It definitely is not your responsibility to figure out how the party in error fixes things.

Should this ever be a serious problem the law is on your side. The IRS cannot rely on a 1099 if you challenge it and cooperate fully in their investigation.

Rule Your Retirement Home Fool
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.