Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
so I cashed the check and kept the money.

I tend to agree with billjam. If you used tax software which you are familiar with .. say TurboTax etc and filed electronically I wouuld cash the check. Trying to contact the IRS to sort this out may present more problems than its worth. Just be sure to keep a copy of your 2011 return and supporting documentation for future reference ... if ever needed.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.