Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
So I don't have to file if my income is less than 20,000?

No... you still have to file if you are required to pay taxes.

Web turbo tax is free to file with if you make under $20,000. If you make over $20,000, then you pay to use Web Turbo Tax.

I don't know your whole situation, but if you sold the stock this year and none last year, you have to file taxes for tax year 1999. The web turbo tax is for tax year 1998. The reason I suggested it: It will allow you, for free, to get some kind of estimate of what you will pay for taxes when you file for tax year 1999. It may also tell you if you have to make estimated tax payments in 1999.

I figure since it is free to use, why not take advantage of it? You have till April 8th to use it...
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.