Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 3
so I guess we should leave all genocidal maniacs, mad bombers, nuclear meatheads, racist infections, and the Idi Amins. Adolfs' and the like to the higher authority of the moralist hi-grounders?

For decades, the Chinese government has taken a back seat to no one when it comes to committing atrocities/genocide. To name just what I am most familiar with, over a million Tibetans have been killed and many more imprisoned and tortured, through war, ideological crackdowns, and government policies which have led to mass poverty, starvation and a deliberate attempt over a couple of generations now to destroy an entire ethnic culture through systematic brainwashing and destruction of historic artifacts and buildings.

Yet, the leader of these people, the Dalai Lama, has never advocated a violent reprisal against the Chinese, or even a severing of diplomatic relations. Instead, he has advocated constructive political engagement with them. This has been occuring, in part through US efforts, and while there's still certainly a long way to go, I believe deeply-rooted fundamental change is in fact taking place in Chinese government and culture that is leading toward more benign and humane policies and practices. Violence simply begets more violence, without addressing the root causes.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.